The autumn season has begun and that means fun celebrations like Halloween, Fall Harvest, Thanksgiving, and the year-end holidays. Children look forward to dressing up in fun costumes, enjoying sparkling lights, and eating their favorite treats. The holiday season and fun gatherings can bring smiles and laughter to parents and children.
These fun events will happen indoors, outdoors, in daycare, childcare, preschool, and with family, friends, and the general public. Wherever the fun is happening, caring parents seek to keep their children safe during each activity. That means balancing sweet treats with healthy options, and reminding your child about stranger concerns.
Children love these special days and parents enjoy watching their child wear costumes, enjoy beautiful decorations, and have tons of fun. Adding these simple precautions as you enjoy the events can be the answer to balancing fun and safety.
1. Keep an eye on your children. If you feel an environment is safe enough for your older child to move beyond your vision, take another child with you so the children can stay together. It is not recommended to leave young children unsupervised in public places, playgrounds, shops, events, etc.
2. If you have an infant or toddler, keep the stroller near you at all times. If your toddler is able to walk, hold hands and take your time.
3. Talk to your children and be aware of the people around you. Sometimes acknowledging strangers with a smile or “Hello” will discourage suspicious behavior. If you are ever uncomfortable with the people around you, move to a different part of the park or event.
4. Establish a meeting place in the event your child becomes separated from you.
5. Wear light colored clothing if your family will be outdoors at night. Bright colors are easier to find in a crowd.
6. Be careful when the family is distracted by interesting activities and sights since it only takes a moment to distract you from watching your child.
7. Listen to your child. If you hear something like, “That man said something to me,” be careful and notify authorities if necessary.
8. Establish a plan for older children. Ask where they will be and establish a way to contact you if needed. Also remind them to stay in the area agreed and not move to other areas without your knowledge and remind them of your safety rules.
One of the joys of being a child is the freedom to laugh, play, and discover the world. Fun events during the fall and winter holiday season offer many opportunities for children and families to enjoy time together and with friends. For more ideas for keeping your child safe in public places, talk with the experts at Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies . They understand a parent’s desire to balance learning, fun, and safety.
About Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies®
Headquartered in the North Atlanta suburb of Duluth, GA, Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies® provide secure, nurturing, and educational environment for children ages 6 weeks - 12 years. We help children to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. With over 160 locations in 15 states, Kids ‘R’ Kids International® is a family owned and operated organization that ranks in the top 10 nationwide for franchised early childhood education centers.